In this tutorial, I use latest Ubuntu server 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) which can be downloaded via Ubuntu official website here and latest SeedDMS (version 4.3.13 ) which can be downloaded via sourceforge here. I assume you already installed Ubuntu and are familiar with Ubuntu environment.
SeedDMS is written in PHP, and uses MySQL or sqlite3 to manage the documents that were uploaded into the application. So, basically you will need:
- A web server which support PHP at least PHP 5.3
- MySQL or sqlite database
- PHP packages such as PHP GD and PHP sqlite
- Several packages to convert document into text (optional, for fulltext search purpose)
- ImageMagic to create preview image
- Zend Framework (optional, for fulltext search purpose)
- Pear framework
- Pear Log package
- Pear HTTP_WebDAV package (optional)
Here we go:
- On your Ubuntu installation, create directory /home/www-data:
- Download following SeedDMS files from sourceforge:
Put these file on /home/www-data directory
- Extract seeddms-quickstart-4.3.13.tar.gz using following command:
After this operation you will see new folder named seeddms43x inside /home/www-data/.
- Install Pear packages:
- Install additional package:
PHP GD and sqlite
PDF and Doc conversion tool to text
- Install SeedDMS Pear packages:
- Install additional Pear packages:
- Change /home/www-data ownership
- Create an alias for Seed DMS web application using following command:
Open apache configuration file:
Add following lines after <virtualhost> tag and before </virtualhost> tag
So it would be looked like this:
You can change /seeddms variable with anything you want.
- Enable mod_rewrite module by running following command:
- Restart apache2 service:
- Enable web based installation tool for seed DMS by running following command:
- Open your browser, and point it to http://[Ubuntu IP Address]/seeddms/install and follow instruction on the screen.
Fill required information as below:
Root directory -> /home/www-data/seeddms43x/www/
Http Root -> /seeddms/
Content directory -> /home/www-data/seeddms43x/data/
Directory for full text index -> /home/www-data/seeddms43x/data/lucene/
Directory for partial uploads -> /home/www-data/seeddms43x/data/staging/
Extra PHP include Path -> /home/www-data/seeddms43x/pear/
Leave Database settings configuration. I assume you will use sqlite database. If you intend to use mysql instead, fill mysql on Database Type text box, and fill the remaining Database settings text box according to your MySQL database configuration.
Check Create database table check box and click Apply button to create database file for the first time. Click Apply button again to continue.
- Disable web based installation tool for seed DMS by running following command:
- Tada.. now your SeedDMS is already installed on your Ubuntu Installation. To begin using it, enter your SeedDMS web address on your browser: http://[Ubuntu IP Address]/seeddms
- Login using following credential: